Envita Fertility Center founder and medical director, MD, FACOG
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
My approach to patient care has always been to put my patients first. I listen to their concerns, their hopes and their fears. And then I educate each person about the options, working collaboratively with the patient to create a truly individualized treatment plan. I’ve dedicated my career to helping individuals and couples navigate fertility treatments, and I care not only about their success but about the entire patient experience.
About Dr. Abae
Dr. Mick Abae is a gifted clinician with wide-ranging credentials and more than 38 years of experience. Ever the perfectionist, Dr. Abae’s academic aptitude was apparent from a young age. His early success in school allowed him to enroll in Fairleigh Dickinson University at just 16 years old, making him the youngest student in his class. After completing his undergraduate studies in biology in three years, at age 19 Dr. Abae set his sights on a master’s degree. After completing his master’s in biology, he went on to medical school at New York Medical College.
Dr. Abae’s greatest strength is his passion for helping all people have babies. Whether the patient is in her 40s, is wheelchair bound or has been diagnosed with a difficult health condition like HIV, Dr. Abae is steadfast in his belief that everyone has the right to have a baby.
He has dedicated his fertility career to helping individuals and couples, the LGBTQ+ community and others in need of reproductive assistance who yearn to be parents realize their dreams. Dr. Abae knows from experience that the best way to accomplish this is by educating his patients and guiding them through their treatment options, empowering them to make their own fertility decisions.
Dr. Abae doesn’t speak in medical jargon, but breaks down complex medical concepts into terms and language patients can understand and relate to. He often uses metaphors to bring a point home clearly.
Fertility doctor & patient ally
His patients quickly find that he is not just a skilled doctor, but a compassionate man with a warm, engaging style. He knows how to help patients relax, in part by getting to know them as individuals with specific wants and needs. Patients develop a bond with him beyond the normal doctor-patient relationship: they trust Dr. Abae with their most important dream of family.
As a fertility specialist, Dr. Abae says his work is really just assisting mother nature so people can conceive. He is always involved in every detail of his patients’ care, seeing his patients at each visit and even conducting his own ultrasound tests and monitoring. An overriding goal for him in all treatment decisions is to make sure the mother and her baby are healthy.
Dr. Abae’s vision for Envita Fertility Center
As the founder of Envita, Dr. Abae made certain that everything about our practice is focused around the patient. This starts with the clinic layout and design and follows through in the medical and administrative processes that are so important for a superb patient experience.
Under Dr. Abe’s guidance, Envita has been engineered for the comfort and convenience of our patients, giving them a unique boutique experience coupled with Envita’s state-of-the-art facility. He ensured the IVF lab contains the most up-to-date equipment and runs at peak performance, headed by our renowned on-site lab director.
Following Dr. Abae’s daily example, the Envita staff has a passion for the small things, striving for perfection and success for every patient. Dr. Abae’s vision for Envita is to provide excellent customer service for a dynamic, connected patient experience. Believing that everyone can be treated, Dr. Abae ensures that Envita offers unfettered access to care.
Reproductive endocrinology background & training
After completing his medical education in New York, Dr. Abae relocated to Florida, where he worked at a local hospital before opening his own practice, Fertility and Genetics, in 2002. Just two years later Dr. Abae established a surgery center to serve his gynecological and reproductive patients.
In 2020, Dr. Abae moved to Southern California where he founded the Envita Fertility Center and now serves as our lead fertility physician and medical director.
Dr. Abae has medical licenses in five states, including California. He holds several patents, including one for a laparoscopic instrument that is used to manipulate the uterus during laparoscopic surgery.
Over Dr. Abae’s fertility career, he has completed over 5,000 IVF procedures and over 3,000 corrective reproductive surgeries.
What fertility patients have to say about Dr. Abae
“I am the happy mother of 11-year-old twin daughters that were brought into this world thanks to Dr. Abae. First attempt, BINGO!”
“Every time I am there, I feel like I am the only patient he has. He is by far the nicest doctor I’ve seen.”
Extremely through and dedicated
“Our experience working with Dr. Abae and his staff was amazing. Every time we walked through the door we were always greeted with a smile and were treated as part of a family. Dr. Abae is extremely through, dedicated and knowledgeable and was always there for us – even on the weekends. Highly recommended.”
Did you know?
In addition to being a fertility specialist, Dr. Abae has his pilot’s license and enjoys flying single engine planes. When he’s not working or soaring through the skies, you can find Dr. Abae enjoying a weekly tennis match or spending time with his wife and three children.
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ
- Bachelor of science, biology, 1997
- Master of science, biology, 1979
New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- Medical doctorate, 1984
St. Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center, New York, NY
- Obstetrics and gynecology internship, 1984-1985
- Obstetrics and gynecology residency, 1984-1988
- Obstetrics and gynecology chief resident, July 1987-June 1988
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
- Reproductive endocrinology & infertility fellowship, July 1988-June 1991
Academic appointments (click to expand)
- Adjunct associate clinical professor NOVA-Southeastern University, School of Osteopathic Medicine
Davie, Florida, 2006-May 2020
- Assistant professor, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, University of Miami School of Medicine, July 1991-June 1993
- Clinical instructor, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, University of Vermont College of Medicine
Burlington, VT, July 1988-June 1991
- Teaching assistant, biology and histology laboratories, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ 1977-1979
- Neuroanatomy & histology laboratories, 1980-1982
Awards (click to expand)
- American Fertility Society Association Members Prize Paper, 45th Annual Meeting of The American Fertility Society, San Francisco, 1989
- Departmental recognition for achieving 89th percentile on the ABOG written exam for OB/GYN board certification, St. Vincent’s Hospital, New York, NY 1988
- Magna cum laude, biology, dean’s list, Fairleigh Dickinson University, 1977
Professional associations (click to expand)
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinologists
- Society for Reproductive Surgeons
- Society for Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- European Society for Human Reproduction & Embryology
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
- Florida Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
- Florida Obstetrics and Gynecology Society
- Miami Obstetrics and Gynecology Society
- Ft. Lauderdale Obstetrics and Gynecology Society
Research experience, principal investigator (click to expand)
- Corpus luteum tissue preparation and cell culture techniques for evaluating control of steroid hormone production; evaluation of endometrial development and in-vitro analysis of Endothelin-1 production. University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, and University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, 1988-1994.
- Evaluation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes function in subjects with spinal cord injury, General Clinical Research Center project, Male Fertility Division of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1992-1994.
- Andrology techniques in sperm motility analysis, sperm separation techniques, and micro-drop insemination procedures for severe male factor during IVF-ET. University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT and University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 1988-1992.
- RIA techniques for measuring CA-125, Endothelia- levels and steroid hormones University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT and University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 1988-1993.
- Techniques in uterine fluid sampling and analysis on sperm survival and motility, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 1988-1993.
- Techniques in the utility of lasers in welding tissues for gynecologic and infertility surgery, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 1988-1991.
- Cryopreservation of sperm, University of Vermont College of Medicine Burlington, VT 1988-1989.
- Identification of marine microorganisms involved in fouling water desalination plants, MS thesis.
Peer reviewed journals (click to expand)
- Abae M, Gibson M, Chapitis J, Riddick DH, Brumsted JR.: CA-125 levels in human uterine fluid. Fertil Steril 57:531, 1992.
- Auletta FJ, Schofield MJ, Abae M: The mechanisms controlling luteolysis in nonhuman primates and women. Seminars in Reproductive Endocrinology, 8:122,1990.
- Brackett NL, Block WE, Abae M, Neurological Anatomy and Physiology of Sexual Function, in C. Singer and J. Weiner editors, Neurology of Sexual Dysfunction. Future Publications, New York 1994.
- Abae M, Majercik M, Glassberg M, Puett JD: Immunoreactive Endothelin-1 Concentrations in follicular fluid of subjects with and without endometrioses undergoing IVF-ET. Fertile Steril 61:1083, 1994.
- Brackett NL, Lynne CM, Weizman MS, Bloch WE, Abae M,: Endocrine Profiles and Semen Quality of Spinal Cord Injured Men. J. Urology 151:114-119, 1994.
- Brackett NL, Abae M, Padron OP, Lynne CM: Treatment by assisted conception of severe male factor infertility due to spinal cord injury or other neurologic impairment. Journal of In-Vitro Fertilization and Genetics. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. Vol. 12 No 3, 1995.
Abstracts (click to expand)
- Deaton JL, Gibson M, Nakajima ST, Blackmer KM, Abae M, Riddick DH, Brumsted JR: A randomized, prospective trial of clomiphene citrate and intrauterine insemination (CC/IUI) verses well-timed intercourse (WTI) in couples with unexplained infertility (UI) or surgically corrected endometriosis (SCE). The American Fertility Society 45th Annual Meeting, Abstract no. 0-005, S2, November 1989. Winner: Associate Members Prize Paper.
- Abae M, Gibson M, Arason A, Fischer RA, Osol G: Evaluation of effects of uterine fluid on sperm motility. Accepted for oral presentation to The American Fertility Society 46th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., October 13-18, 1990.
- Abae M, Gibson M, Chapitis J, Taylor E, Brumsted JR: Cancer antigen 125 (CA-125) in human uterine fluid. Presented at the American Fertility Society 46th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., October 13- 18, 1990.
- Abae M, Chapitis J, Lewis S: CA 125 Levels in Serum and Follicular Fluid Following Suppression and Ovarian Stimulation Treatments During In Vitro Fertilization. Society for Gynecological Investigation 38th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, March 20-23, 1991.
- Abae M, Chapitis J, Fischer R: Sonographic patterns of endometrium in spontaneous (S) and clomiphene citrate- induced (CC) cycles. Presented at the American Fertility Society 47th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL., March 1991.
- Abae M, Chapitis J: Transvaginal sonographic assessment of endometrium in infertile subjects with endometriosis, unexplained infertility, polycystic ovaries and tubal disease. Presented at the Third World Congress on Endometriosis, Brussels Belgium, June 1-3, 1992.
- Abae M, Chapitis J: Sonographic Assessment of Endometrium in Spontaneous and Induced Cycles. Presented at the 48th Annual Meeting of America Fertility Society Meeting, New Orleans, MI, November 1-4, 1992.
- Abae M, Chapitis J, Hung TT, Puett JD, Glassburg MK: Endothelia-1 levels in follicular fluid of patients undergoing In vitro Fertilization and embryo transfer. Presented at the 48th Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society Meeting, New Orleans, MI, November 1- 4 1992.
- Abae M, Yoshida H, Majercik MH, Vestal R, Puett JD, Glassberg, M: Immunoreactive Endothelia-1 Concentrations in Follicular Fluid of Subjects with and without Endometriosis Undergoing IVF-ET. Presented at the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society Meeting, Montreal, Canada, October 9-14, 1993.
- Brackett NL, Padron Of, Lynne CM, and Abae M: Fecundity Rate with Clomiphene IUI Using Semen from Spinal Cord Injured (SCI) Men. Presented at the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society Meeting, Montreal, Canada, October 9-14, 1993.
- Brackett NL, Lynne CM, Weizman M, Amador M, and Abae M: Endocrine pulsatility and muscle spasm activity in spinal cord injured men before and after naloxone infusion. 1993 Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Washington, D.C., November 7-12, 1993.
- Abae M, Brackett NL, Majercik MH, Lynne CM: Treatment of severe male factor infertility due to spinal cord injury by assisted reproduction. Presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of The American Fertility Society, San Antonio, TX, November 5-10, 1994.
- Brackett NL, Lynne CM, Abae M, Weizman MS: Differences in luteinizing hormone pulse release in spinal cord injured men. Presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of The American Fertility Society, San Antonio, TX, November 5-10, 1994.
- Abae M, Carroll K, Majercik MH: Potential benefits of combing assisted reproduction with diagnostic laparoscopy for infertility evaluation. Presented at the IXth World Congress on In- vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction, Vienna, Austria, April 3-7, 1995.
- Abae M, Majercik MH: Comparison if IVF-ET outcome using the short-term agonist (flare-up) protocol and the long-term pituitary desensitization ovarian stimulation regime. Submitted- 52nd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Boston, MA, November 2-7, 1996.
- Abae M, Majercik MH: Effect of endometriosis on the outcome of assisted reproductive techniques at the time of diagnostic laparoscopy for long-standing infertility. Presented at the 5th World Congress on Endometriosis, Yokohama, Japan, Oct 21-24, 1996.
- Majercik MH, Abae M: Increased number of dysmorphic oocytes in young patients with poor ovarian responsiveness and patients >40 yrs of age undergoing ICSI. Presented at the16th World Congress on Fertility and Sterility and 54th Annual Meeting of ASRM. San Francisco, CA, Oct 4-9, 1998.
- Abae M, Firsin WK, Majercik M: Women with PCOS undergoing IVF-ET demonstrate a higher incidence of endometrial echo patterns associated with lower implantation rates. Presented at the conjoint ASRM/CFAS Meeting, Toronto, Canada, Sept 25-30,1999.
- Majercik MH, Firisin W, Abae M: Blastocyst development is significantly decreased but maintains a high implantation rate in cases of severe male factor infertility. Presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of ASRM, San Diego, CA, Oct 21-26, 2000.
- Abae M, Firisin W, Majercik M: A day 3 embryo index to help predict blastocyst formation for day 5 embryo transfer. Presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of ASRM, San Diego, CA, Oct 21-26, 2000.
- Abae M, Firisin W, Lopez K, Majercik M: Prospective randomized trial of two mild controlled-ovarian stimulation (COS) protocols with rFSH in combination with ganirelix acetate or low-dose leuprolide acetate, preliminary results. Presented at the 18th Annual Meeting of ESHRE, Vienna, Austria, June 30 – July 3, 2002.
- Firisin W, Rodriguez H, Lynne C, Brackett N, Abae M: Severe male infertility associated with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) or extreme Oligoasthenozoospermia (OAS) yields lower numbers of good quality embryos on Day 3, but excellent pregnancy rates with blastocyst transfer. Presented at the 58th Annual Meeting of ASRM, Seattle, Washington, October 2002.
- Abae M, Firisin W, Lopez K, Rodriguez H: Use of GnRH Antagonist for Ovarian Stimulation in PCOS patients undergoing IVF/ICSI is associated with less total injections and comparable clinical outcome. Presented at the 58th Annual Meeting of ASRM, Seattle, Washington, October 2002.
- Grotas J, Lynne C, Aballa T, Larson-Cook K, Rodriquez H, Abae M, Brackett N: Increased DNA Fragmentation in Sperm from Men with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) as Determined by the Sperm Chromatin Structure Assay (SCSA). Presented at the American Urological Association (AUA) Meeting, San Francisco, California, May 8 – 13, 2004.
- Abae, M., Hart, P., and H.F. Rodriguez. Use of GnRH antagonists in low prognosis IVF-ICSI patients may help improve laboratory and clinical parameters. ESHRE Meeting, Berlin, Germany, June 27-30, 2004.
- Rodriguez, H.F., Hart, P. and Abae, M., 2005. Impact of embryo quality on developmental and aneuploidy rates after blastomere biopsy for PGD. Oral Presentation ASRM-CFS Meeting, October 2005, Montreal, Canada (O-245).
- Abae, Mick1, Dena Atassi, Nabil Arrach, Ying Ying, Xuekui Zhang, (1) Fertility & Genetics, PLANTATION, FL, (2) Progenesis, SAN DIEGO, CA, (3) University of South Florida Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tampa, fl. Prospective analysis of multiplatform preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (pgt-a) trophectoderm re-biopsy of aneuploid embryos and the corresponding whole embryos. Poster Presentation ESHRE, July 2020, Brussels Belgium (P-488).
Presentations (click to expand)
- “Habitual Abortion”, Grand Rounds, Dept of OB/GYN St. Vincent’s Hospital New York, NY, April 1988.
- “Male Reproductive Physiology and Infertility”, Grand Rounds, Dept of OB/GYN, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, June 1989.
- “Reproductive Neuroendocrinology, Pulsatile GNRH Release” Special Seminars, Dept. of Physiology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, December 1989.
- “Effects of Exercise on Plasma Membrane NA-K Pump” Special Seminars, Dept of Physiology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, October 1989.
- “Gene Structure and Organization of Human Glycoproteins, LH, FSH, and HCG” Special Seminars, Department of Physiology and Biophysics University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, March 1990.
- “Pregnancy Induced Alterations in Activation of Contractions in Myocardial Cells”, Special Seminars, Department of Physiology, University of Vermont College of Medicine Burlington, VT, April 1990.
- “Effects of Uterine Fluid on Sperm Motility” Annual Graduate College and Medical School Research Seminars, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, April 1990.
- “Steroidogenic Responsiveness of the Primate Corpus Luteum to Gonadotropin Stimulation”, Physiology weekly seminars, Department of Physiology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, June 25, 1990.
- “Evaluation of effects of uterine fluid on sperm motility” Oral presentation to The American Fertility Society 46th Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., October 13-18, 1990.
- “Cancer antigen 125 (CA-125) in human uterine fluid”, Oral presentation to the American Fertility Society 46th annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., October 13-18, 1990.
- “Intrauterine Physiology” Grand Rounds, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, April 18, 1991.
- “Intrauterine Environment” Grand Rounds, Department Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, January 1992.
- “Endometriosis”, “Habitual Abortion”, “Hypothalamic amenorrhea”, “Application of Hysteroscopy in Gynecologic surgery”, “Basic Endoscopy”, “Hyperprolactinemia”.
- “Normal and Abnormal Puberty”: lectures given at the 17th Annual (October 1991) and 18th Annual (November 1992) OB/GYN Review Course University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami FL.
- “Current Concepts in the Diagnosis and Management of Pelvic Endometriosis”, “The Role of Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonist in the Preparation of Patients for Endoscopic Surgery”, “Laboratory Session and Round Table Demonstration of Different Laparoscopic Techniques”, “Laparoscopic Surgery for Infertility”, “Hysteroscopic Myomectomy and Endometrial Ablation”, “Laboratory Session and Round Table (Pelvic-Trainers & Videos) Demonstration of Myomectomy and Endometrial Ablation”: lectures given at the 1993 OB/GYN Ski Seminar Endoscopic Surgery in Vail, Colorado February 20-27, 1993.
- “Comparison of Outcome of from two Different Stimulation Regimens for ART”, South Florida Chapter Resolve, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, October 1995.
- “Fecundability and Assisted Conception”, The Miami Obstetrical and Gynecological Society, Miami Beach, Florida, October 12, 1995.
- “PGT-A improves IVF Outcome with Elective Single Embryo Transfer” Natera Presentation, Pembroke Pines Florida September 2016.
- “Advances in ART: PGT-A, Cryopreservation & e-SET” NxGenMDx Presentation, Fort Lauderdale, FL February 2019.